The heart dwells happy when you pamper it with healthy food and a good, long run. Aerobic exercise is one of the best ways of keeping up good health and body physique. It is one of the most recommended forms of exercise for people of all ages and is relatively simple to execute.
One of the major benefits of aerobic exercise is cardiovascular fitness. It reflects the efficiency with which the heart pumps blood through the body. Cardiac capacity is greatly increased by regular practice of aerobic exercise, since the heart is trained to supply oxygen efficiently to the muscles during times of physical stress. A survey conducted by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention stated that about 49% of US adults met the government specified guidelines for aerobic fitness. This leaves more than half of the country’s population unfit in terms of cardiac health.
A simple way to test for cardiac fitness is to note how soon your breath starts getting heavy during a strenuous exercise. The important factor to take notice of is how fast the increment starts to occur and the endurance capacity of the heart and muscles.
A regular practitioner of aerobic exercise is fairly adept at enduring a rapid heartbeat all the while not compromising on performance. Doctors recommend at least five days of moderate physical activity for the average person in a week is forty-five minutes to one hour sessions. A study published in the journal “Circulation” stated that regular exercise can reduce the risk of death due to cardiac failure by 25-30% in an average adult. Increasing fitness
The safest way to increase aerobic fitness levels is to exercise regularly. The heart, like any muscle, can be trained with hard work and practice.
It is natural for beginners to feel extremely out of breath and tired very quickly. There may even be times when they may not be able to complete the routine. Despite unsuccessful attempts, it must be kept in mind that progress only comes little by little. Small efforts each day add up slowly and slowly to one day produce remarkable results.
Benefits of aerobic exercise
- Disease prevention – Regular practice of aerobic exercise can prevent a large number of diseases in an adult, many of which are terminal and lead to the malfunction of several organs in the body. Some of the diseases include stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, gall stones, cancer, sleep apnea etc.
Studies have shown that cardiac diseases are now starting to shift towards a much younger age groups. This can directly be attributed to the sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits among the youth, especially in urban areas. Small bouts of regular aerobic exercise help to keep the body healthy and ward off diseases for a long time.
- Mood lifter – Aerobic exercise increases the heart rate and helps in circulation of blood throughout the body. There is also a healthy balance of body fluids and chemicals that maintain physiological well being. Hormones like dopamine and serotonin are released during vigorous physical activity, which result in a sense of alertness, calm, and happiness.
- Physical fitness – Aerobic routines are a major fitness program practiced by people all over the world. These exercises are useful as warm up and muscle loosening regimesbefore pursuing some other form of workout. They can also be practiced on their own, reaping enormous benefits.
- Athletic aid – Aerobic exercises are useful for athletes and professional sportspersons as well. A combination of aerobic exercise and body weight drills are designed for endurance training regimes. Aerobic exercises also help to keeps the joints soft and lubricated during strenuous workouts.
- Cycling – This is perhaps one of the most common and easily execution-able forms of aerobic exercise. Cycling increases cardiac capacity as well as trains the muscles. You can ride a stationary bike at the gym, ride your bicycle around the neighborhood or go cycling on the mountains on a specialty bike, all giving you the same benefits at different levels.
- Running – They say, there is no better medicine than a good run. This is a sport that requires building up from a basic level. Running is great for easing joint pain and muscle soreness.
- Circuit training – This is mostly an endurance training workout regime to increase physical fitness. It involves a combination of aerobic exercise and strength training moves which forms a single circuit which is to be repeated with a few seconds of break in between.
- Aerobic classes – A combination of purely cardiovascular moves done at regular intervals, aerobic classes are a great option for people wanting to lose weight. These exercises are similar to dance routines, so you are basically partying while you work out!
- Step classes – Steep Classes are another profitable choice for exercisers. An elevated step-surface is used for engaging multiple muscle groups while doing simple moves. If you are looking to increase muscle endurance along with improving cardiac health then step classes are the place for you.
Other common forms of aerobic exercise include boxing, martial arts, power yoga, plyometrics, rowing, swimming, dancing, walking, etc.
What is aerobic exercise for?
Aerobic exercises are recommended for people of all ages. It is safe to consult a doctor before pursuing an exercise regime of any kind.
There is a common notion that exercise is only for people who want to lose weight. Phrases like “spare tyre”, “belly bulge” and “flabby extras” have lent a negative connotation to the mindset of exercise, and most people have simply started to think that exercise is only meant for shedding extra weight.
In all truth, exercise, like any other activity must be pursued for the sheer joy of being fit. Although medical science has proved that obesity can be related to a loss in cardiac fitness and muscle strength, there is no study that says that a regular exerciser cannot both be healthy and not have a lean body at the same time.
Exercise is for everybody, irrespective of the size of the body. The world of fitness does not discriminate between sizes, be extra-small or extra-large. To maintain a sound level of fitness, what matters the most is sincerity and the amount of effort one puts into the act.
Source: Are Aerobic Classes Still A Favourite Fitness Form In India